Tuscan Foodie from TuscanFoodie.com, sent me this recipe for potato focaccia, which in Tuscany they call ”Schiacciata di patate” or Potato flatbread. The pictures I saw on the site made me want to try it right away. I’ve already made it a couple of times. It’s quite easy to make without a mixer and it has a crunchy crust and soft, flavorful inside. It’s great for making sandwiches with any kind of cold cut.
Click here to find all my other recipes for home made focaccia. Click here to see the pictures from readers who have tried my recipes for focaccia or flatbreads.
Here’s e video recipe, try it!
Video Recipe for potato focaccia (flatbread)
Ingredienti Focaccia con le Patate
- Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes until you can easily break them with a fork. Try not to waste water when boiling so as not to alter the proportions of the recipe
- Blend everything to make very runny mashed potatoes
- Let the mixture cool until the temperature drops to about 30°C (about one hour)
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in the potato water
- Add half the flour and mix
- When the flour is absorbed, add salt, This way the salt won’t come into direct contact with the yeast
- Mix well
- Add the rest of the flour and mix
- Mix for 2-3 minutes until the flour is well blended in the dough
- Grease a container with oil
- Pour the dough in the container, This has to be big enough to contain twice the volume of the dough.
- Cover and let it rise at about 25°C for 2-3 hours or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Here’s what the dough looks like after leavening
- It’s a very moist dough
- Grease a baking sheet with oil, ( you can use butter if you want, it prevents the focaccia from sticking to the sheet when baking)
- Put the dough on the baking sheet trying not to fold it
- Grease your hands with oil and stretch out the dough evenly
- Here’s the dough after stretching
- Brush extra vergin olive oil on the surface
- Dimple the dough with your fingers
- Let t rise at 25°C for about60 minutes
- This is the focaccia after the second leavening
- Pre heat oven to 200°C
- Bake the focaccia for 20-30 minutes, depending on the oven
- Here’s the baked focaccia
- Air pockets