Elisa from “I Ricami di Aurora” inspired me to make these typical Turin breadsticks by hand.
Her recipe calls for two doughs, to be made one hour away from each other . I tried it and the result was good. In this version of mine, I make them with a single dough, to maximize time.
I applied the technique we used in my family’s bakery. Generally, you can look for other recipes with different ingredients and then apply the technique I explain in the video. Then you can share the results with us, like Elisa did! Thanks Elisa!!!
This recipe is always successful, whether you use a mixer or knead by hand.
Video Recipe for Bread sticks
- 160 g Water
- 6 g Salt
- 40 g Lard (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 Teaspoonful malt
- 375 g Flour 00
- 10 g fresh yeast(or 4g dry yeast)
- Fioretto di granoturco – Corm flour?, or semolina, or rice flour, for sprinkling
- Dissolve the salt into the water
- Add lard (or oil)
- Add Malt
- Mix in half the flour
- Knead until you get a creamy dough
- Add yeast
- Mix in the rest of the flour a little at a time
- Knead for 20 minutes to get a smooth dough with no lumps
- Mold the dough into an oval shape
- Cover it with a dishcloth
- Line the worktop with a piece of plastic wrap twice the size of the dough
- Brush the plastic wrap with extra virgin olive oil
- Let the dough sit for 15-20 minutes
- Fold the dough twice to give it strength and make a rectangle, the shorter side will be about 8 cm (see video)
- Place the dough on the plastic wrapped worktop
- Brush the surface with oil
- Cover the dough with greased plastic wrap so it’s airtight
- Let the dough rise for 60-70 minutes (it should double in size)
- Put the semolina or corn flour or rice flour on a dish
- Remove the wrap from the dough
- Cut the dough into smallish sticks about 2 cm wide. Use your spatula to cut in a single motion. The smooth cut will make it easier to stretch the sticks later on.
- Lay the sticks on the semolina
- Now put them on the baking grill or sheet
- Now stretch the sticks gently with your hands, starting 4-5 cm from the center and tugging towards the ends (see video)
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 230°C for 10-12 minutes (every oven is different, perfect baking time will come with experience)
- A quick recipe that will impress everyone! Send me feedback!
Vittorio, Luca e Laura